Kappelen - Ecusson Sierentz County - Kappelen  

Practical:
Town hall of Kappelen   
3, rue de la chapelle
68510 Kappelen
Phone: +33 3.89.68.02.14  
Fax: +33 3.89.70.80.99
Email: Mairie-kappelen@wanadoo.fr

Opening hours of the secretariat:  
Tuesday
Thursday
Friday
from 15. 00 to 18. 00
from 09. 00 to 11. 30
from 15. 00 to 18. 00

Permanencies of the Mayor and his Assistants:
Monday
from 19. 30

Addresses in the event of urgencies:
Burget Gerard
Mayor
1, rue des Abeilles - Kappelen
Tel.: +33 3.89.68.02.55
Wolgensinger Emile
1st assistant
14, rue de la Chapelle - Kappelen
Tel.: +33 3.89.68.03.19
Heinimann Jean-Pierre
2nd assistant
3, rue du Moulin - Kappelen - Kappelen
Tel.: +33 3.89.68.01.67

Heritage:

History
Some findings of the age of the stone age, the iron age and the Gallic times testify to the permanence of the occupation of the site.
The name of Kappelen is supposed to come from Wolfgangskapelle, small chapel located between Kappelen and Stetten.
The village formed part of the goods of Hapsburgs, and especially of the seigniory of Landser. It is mentioned for the first time in the 12th century. On its territory was the missed village of Zeiswiller, mentioned in the 14th and 17th centuries.
The convent of Saint-Appollinaire of Michelbach-le-Haut had goods there, as well as the abbey of Lucelle and the convent Saint Leonard of Basle.


Old landmark of KappelenOld landmark of Kappelen

Old landmarks of Kappelen

 Kappelen - Ancienne Eglise St Michel (C) B. Lambert 1998
The old Saint Michael Church

The presbytery
After the fastening of Alsace to France, the old presbytery having been judged no more worthy to accommodate a member of clergy, the intendant of King Louis XV intervened at the bishopric of Basle, principal licensee of the tithe, for him to order the construction of a new presbytery. Built in 1746 according to the plans of the Swiss Blaise von Runcz (from the canton of Grisons and sworn architect of the Sovereign Council of Alsace), it will be the seat of the vice-chancellor of Stetten where the mother church was established, with its vicar serving the branches of Kappelen and Brinckheim.
In 1774 one added a tithe barn. After the revolution, these goods were sold 6.172 pounds to the municipality which was to maintain them. Kappelen having become an independent parish in 1820, the priests followed one another until 1974 because of the lack of priests, it was managed from Helfrantzkirch. The buildings were sold to the profit of the new church.
The large white earthenware stove decorated with blue paintings of Swiss manufacture which was there, has been exposed since 1901 at the Historical Museum of Mulhouse.

The old Saint Michael church
Since the Middle Ages, Kappelen had at its disposal a chapel dedicated to Saint Michael, located on the heights.
 
Initially chapel of ease of the presbytery, this chapel only included the chorus and two spans of the nave. There was kept ciborium, the hosts and a baptistery, the mother church being in Stetten but the priest and his vicar living in Kappelen.
In 1820, after many negotiations, the village becomes a parish. One then thinks of transforming the chapel into a church. It will be done in 1847: the nave is lengthened of 9 meters and is capped at the back by a new pinnacle.
On June 4th, 1866, it is destroyed by fire! Schacre directs the restoration.
But since 1890 one speaks about a new place of worship.
In 1954, the ruined wood pinnacle was demolished. After the construction of the new Saint Michael church further down, the old building remains unused.

Kappelen - Le presbytère  (C) B. Lambert 1998
Kappelen - The presbytery

Kappelen - autel latéral de l'ancienne Eglise (C) B. Lambert 1998
Old Saint Michael church: side altar

Kappelen - autel central de l'ancienne Eglise (C) B. Lambert 1998
Old Saint Michael church: main altar
Stele in the memory of Paul Stintzi
In the cemetery contiguous to the old church rests Paul Stintzi (1898-1988). Professor of history and geography, he was for more than half a century the main figure of the Sundgau History Society (Société d'Histoire Sundgauvienne) founded in 1931, as secretary and treasurer and then as president. One owes him a considerable work of popularisation through several thousands of articles, more than 200 publications and 1400 conferences addressed to Sundgauvians whose historical conscience he tried to arouse.

Kappelen - Stèle de Paul Stintzi    (C) B. Lambert 1998

Kappelen - La Chappelle Saint  Wolfgang    (C) B. Lambert 1998
The Saint Wolfgang chapel

The chapel contains several beautiful wooden statues among which that of Saint Wendelin with his crook and Saint Wolfgang holding a church.
The ceiling is made of painted wood panels representing,

  • in the chorus: saint Jacob, Joseph, Matthews, Andrew, Paul and Peter;
  • in the nave, the Virgin,saint Theobald, Nicholas, Bartholomew, the Three Magi, saint Lawrence, Wendelin, Marcus, Philip, James the Major, Elizabeth, Henry, John Népomucène, Catherine and Barbara.

The chapel is closed but with glazed gate.

Saint-Wolfgang chapel
This sanctuary, famous since the Middle Ages, knew such a stampede of pilgrims, that at the end of the 19th century two weekly masses were celebrated here. Its patron Saint Wolfgang is invoked as protector of shepherds and cattle but also during epidemics. More recently the girls wishing to marry came to pray him so that they might find a husband.
At the beginning, the chapel was only composed of the chorus with an altar. In 1755, it was enhanced by a nave surmounted by a pinnacle.
In 1898, the priest Keiflin restored it entirely. He added a door and built a canopy. A new restoration proved necessary in 1970. The school headmaster undertakes it with a group of voluntaries. The inside was also restored and a new altar set up. The remainders of the old one are enchased in it.
The new Church
In 1880, the village acquired the ground for the construction of a new church. Because of the two world wars, it could be done only in 1975-1977. It is a resolutely modern building, with iron framing and large glazed openings. It is the work of Fernand Lavandier, from Strasbourg. It follows the main idea of a church open on the world. The church was blessed by His Eminence Brand, auxiliary bishop of Strasbourg, on October 9th, 1977.
The stained-glass window representing chapter 12 of the Apocalypse of Saint John, with a woman surrounded by 12 stars, the Church and a dragon with seven heads, the evil, is signed creation Fabien Schultz (1977), artist in stained-glass from Burnhaupt-le-Haut (68).

 Kappelen - Nouvelle Eglise St Michel (Photo: B. Lambert)
The new Saint Michael church

At the entry, a pair of statues, " Resurrection of Christ " and " Saint Michael ", signed " JS " (Joseph Saur, from Oberhergheim) are out of wood and covered with copper.
The three bells dedicated to Saint Mary (310 kg), to Saint Michael (210 kg) and to Saint Joseph (135 kg) were blessed in May 1977.

 
Hintere Muehle
Hintere Muehle
Several centuries ago, this mill seemed to be part of a unit including a farm and a forging mill, as suggested by the name of the contiguous localities "Muehlacker" and "Hinter der Schmiede".
At the 18th century, it was exploited by a Specker family of which one of the members, Jean-George, was to be the first elected mayor of the village in 1790.
At the beginning of the 20th century, it was acquired by the family Leon Roemer from Rantzwiller. After modernisations and installation of electric motors which compensate for the lack of water in dry periods, it was in use until 1958. Fallen in disuse, the machineries were dismounted.
Niedere Muehle
A notarial act dated from 27 July 1692 tells us that at that date Ann of Herrwarts, Lord of Landser, authorised the sieur Hans Ulrich Bilger, mayor of Kappelen, to build a grain mill with its feeder channel on his ground between Kappelen and Brinckheim. Moreover, he was to get an annual rent of 12 francs (minted at tours) of 20 sous.
This mill was exploited by the Bilger family, then the Mullers until the 1st World war.
Thereafter barley and oats were ground there for the cattle until 1935. At that date, the exploitation was stopped, the mechanics dismounted and the buildings transformed into dependencies of the farm.

 

Kappelen - La Maison Foehrlé  (Photo Bernard Lambert)
The Foehrlé House (1687)
Houses and landscape
The main street shows some beautiful half-timbered houses, one of them, the Foehrlé House, dates of 1680.
The plates of the streets of Kappelen are particular: beside the French names, they mention also the old Alsacian denominations.
 

Societies Président Contact
Village Hall Bi's Jobbis Président: Burget Gérard Person in charge of the hiring of the Communal Room: contact TownHall Telephone: +33 3.89.68.02.14  / Fax: +33 3.89.70.80.99
Email: mairie-kappelen@wanadoo.fr
Salle: tél. +33 3.89.68.09.65
Sainte-Cécile Choral Society Wirth Antoine Président: tél. +33 3.89.68.05.42
Pour renseignements et inscription s'adresser à Mme Marie-Odile Gresser tél. +33 3.89.68.06.43
Fireman Society Burget Christian Président: tél. +33 3.89.70.81.71
Blood Donor Society Wollenschneider Michel Président: tél. +33 3.89.68.02.38
First-Aid Workers of the French Red Cross
D'Linsispalter (Glickhàmpfele) Heinimann Jean-Pierre Président: tél. +33 3.89.68.01.67
Football Club Kappelen FCK Bilger Patrice Président: tél. +33 3.89.70.72.78
Club House: tél. +33 3.89.68.09.94
Responsible for Juniors: Sengelin Roger
tél. +33 3.89.68.08.20
Email: Nadine Lansucki
Senior Citizen Club Gresser Pierre Président: tél. +33 3.89.68.08.30
Sports and Cultural Society of Kappelen ASCK Foehrlé Fernand Président: tél. +33 3.89.68.00.65
Secretary: Mme Heinimann Patricia
Tél. +33 3.89.68.01.67
Table Tennis Section Wolgensinger Emile
(Coach)
Coach:
tél. +33 3.89.68.03.19

 

Artisans / Commerces / Sociétés Téléphone Fax
Accès Automatismes - Michel Kettela +33 3.89.68.03.03 +33 3.89.68.02.10
Café aux Deux Clefs - Fernand Landauer +33 3.89.68.02.19  
Docteur Ketterlin Didier - Médecin généraliste +33 3.89.70.80.42  
Ecole d'équitation Alain Muller - Oberried
Location de chevaux d'équitation
+33 3.89.68.02.04  
Garage Groellin (Station Total - Agent Citroën - Fioul) +33 3.89.68.02.18
Latuner Bernard et Fils (Serrurerie - Ferblanterie - Sanitaire - Chauffage) +33 3.89.68.02.17 +33 3.89.68.07.25
Le Bercail (SCI) +33 3.89.68.04.31 +33 3.89.70.81.81
Meubles Schmitt (Menuiserie - Ebénisterie) +33 3.89.68.02.15 +33 3.89.70.80.11
Muller Alain (Commerce de Bestiaux) +33 3.89.68.02.04 +33 3.89.68.09.63
Transports: Route Express +33 3.89.70.82.56 +33 3.89.70.82.23
Transports Groelly +33 3.89.68.07.77  
Specker Pierre (Professeur Guitare et Chant)
Orchestre: Pierre Specker Band'
Email: pierle @ kappelen.com
+33 3.89.68.08.62 +33 3 89 68 00 69
Sierentz County - the villages